VANISH provides assistance to people with their search for relatives they have been separated from by adoption, and also provides support and guidance throughout the search and contact process.
VANISH Search Service
- Information relating to the rights of a mother or father who have been separated from their son or daughter by adoption
- Information relating to the rights of an adopted person separated from family by adoption
- Assistance with applications for adoption records for those who are eligible to apply
- Contact details for Adoption Information Services in Victoria, interstate and overseas
- Information and assistance with a search including referral to the latest version of the VANISH SEARCH GUIDE.
VANISH Support Service
VANISH provides professional and confidential support for all people affected by adoption as their need arises. In addition, staff members often have a personal experience of separation from family by adoption and are able to offer appropriate assistance and support to our service users with empathy and respect. Support includes but is not limited to mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, spouses, partners, children, siblings, adoptive parents, relatives and extended family members.
Support can be provided either individually or in a group:
- in person
- by telephone
- by email or
- in a support group.
Some common concerns may be:
- late discovery of adoption
- making the decision to search
- length and difficulty of search
- the person sought is deceased
- making the decision to outreach
- no response to initial outreach and/or outreach rejected
- relationship concerns and difficulties during reunion and beyond
- extended family member relationship difficulties
- deciding whether to lodge or revoke a contact statement.
VANISH provides support to people affected by adoption in other states and territories, overseas as well as intercountry adoptions.
VANISH also provides support to Forgotten Australians who have formerly been in institutional care and who are affected by adoption, and to those affected by donor conception.
VANISH provides regular peer support group meetings for all members of the adoption community as well as members of the donor-conceived community.